Stijn Lagaert possesses extensive expertise spanning the biotechnology, pharmaceutical chemistry, plant protection products, fertilizers, and food and feed technologies sectors. He is well-versed in the entire spectrum of patent-related activities, including the meticulous drafting and prosecution of European and International patent applications, delivering strategic counsel on filing strategies, and conducting thorough patentability assessments and freedom-to-operate studies.
Thanks to his experience in due diligence work, Stijn excels in scrutinizing and appraising third-party patent portfolios, as well as optimizing clients’ patent portfolios for airtight due diligence evaluations. He is a seasoned advocate in defensive and offensive opposition and appeal proceedings before the European Patent Office, advocating for his clients’ rights with precision.
Moreover, Stijn Lagaert is a recognized authority on Supplementary Protection Certificates for both pharmaceuticals and agricultural products. He is qualified to represent clients before the Unitary Patent Office and is a registered Court Expert for patent matters before the Belgian courts. He has experience in requesting as well as performing (descriptive) seizure procedures related to presumed patent infringement.
- Supplementary Protection Certificates
- Breeder’s Rights
- Court Expert
- European Patent Litigator
- European and Belgian Patent Attorney
- European Trademark & Design Attorney
- Diploma in Patent Litigation in Europe
- PhD in Bioscience Engineering, University of Leuven (Belgium), 2010
- Master in Bioscience Engineering – Cell & Gene Biotechnology, University of Leuven (Belgium), 2006
- Lagaert, S. (2012). Extending your patent on a new application of an old drug. International Pharmaceutical Industry, 4: 24-28